What Documents Should I have When Traveling to and in Tibet?

When you travel under a foreign passport, you will have to travel legally  according to the Tibet local authority. During your traveling in Tibet, the three main primary documents are passports, China visa (or Tibet group visa) and Tibet entry permits. Different tour destination will need further document such as military permits, foreign affairs border passing permit, alien’s travel permits. Here is the document list for Tibet traveling. Please double check before coming to our land.

  1. Valid Passports (at least valid for 6 months after your departure date of Tibet)
  2. Valid China visa (for entering from China);
  3. Tibet group visa (for entering Tibet from Nepal, you do not need to apply China via in your country, even so it will be cancelled);
  4. Tibet entry travel permits for all Tibet tours;
  5. Alien’s travel permits for trip covering Everest. Tsetang (Samye monastery), Kailash and north-loop Grand Tibet, eastern Tibet such as Draksumtso lake;
  6. Foreign affairs permit (policy keeps changing on this section)
  7. Border defense passing allowance permit (trip between Nepal and Tibet)
  8. Military permits.

And here is another list of the documents which you will have to provide by email to us when you book a tour, we need these docs to apply some of the above necessary permits.

  1. Photocopies of valid passports data page for all travelers (upon booking)
  2. Photocopies of valid China visa (you can send it after you get it)
  3. Working certificate or student Id card copies if you do not hold “L” China visa but Z or F type of China visa.
  4. Marriage certificate or relatives’ statement with signature if you hold Q category China visa.

While booking your Tibet tour, we would like you to send us the copy of your Passport and China Visa for every member of the group. The copy of passport should be the same one you will be using to get your Chinese visa. If you renew your passports, but the China via is on the expired passport, please provide both passports photo copies.

If your visa is not the “L” category, i.e., tour category china visa, you will need to provide us the additional supporting document such as student certificates, resident and Work Permit and so on.

Please provide passport copies at least 2-4 weeks before arrival date. For Tibet tour without Kailash, eastern Tibet, North-loop Grand Tibet, we can accept urgent tour booking 2 weeks before your arrival date, but if your trip covers the places mentioned here, you’d better send us your passport photo copies 4 weeks to 5 weeks in advance at least, most of our Kailash travelers provide us passport copies half year in advance. And they can provide China visa copies 1 month in advance.

If you travel to Tibet from Nepal, we will only need your valid passport copies. Yet, we will have to apply for the Chinese Group Visa from the Chinese Embassy in Nepal.

Read further: Can I apply for Tibet Travel permit or Tibet group visa by ourselves?Definitely No, you cannot apply for Tibet travel permit or Tibet group visa directly. Tibet Travel Permit is only issued by Tibet Tourism Administration in Lhasa, together with other Chinese authorities such as military office, and foreign affairs office, national security office, public security bureau, etc. Therefore, an only local registered travel agency based in Lhasa can help you apply for it. Hence it is impossible for you to apply permits by yourself, and you will have to book your Tibet tour directly or indirectly with a local travel agency in Lhasa.